Saturday, April 11, 2015

Battery Organization

Do you ever have trouble finding batteries when you really need them?  Don’t know what you have in stock and what you need to get at the store on your next visit?  Do you know how to store your batteries so they can have the longest life?
I used to store our batteries in a drawer in the packages that they were in when I bought them.  Not that my system was a bad system but when searching for batteries, I never knew what I really had in stock.  




I decided it was time to try something different.  The first thing I did was purchase a tackle type storage box from Staples.  I chose this particular box because it has a removable tray inside with separate compartments to store each different type of battery. 



The first thing I did was make labels with my Brother's P-Touch label maker for each type of battery that I would be storing in the box.  This way each type would be stored in it's own compartment.



I organized the batteries by placing one type of battery in each compartment.  Now I know exactly how many batteries I have of each type and I don’t have to dump them all out in search for a particular type.



Here are a few facts about how to store batteries and get the most life out of them.

1.  Batteries should be kept in a cool place but never frozen.  It was suggested by one site that you could store them in the refrigerator as long as you keep them in a sealed plastic bag to prevent condensation.    Another site said to avoid both the freezer and refrigerator all together. Summary:  cold and/or wet batteries do not operate at full strength and warm batteries have a shorter lifespan.  Ideal weather:  59 degrees at 50% humidity. 
2.  Keep their negative and positive ends away from each other to keep them from conducting idly. 
3.  Store new and old batteries in separate containers–old batteries near new batteries will shorten the new batteries’ life.  

Happy Organizing!!!

Sara





No comments:

Post a Comment